While the FSM was launched on the 20 December 2011, its association was registered with New South Wales (NSW) Department of Fair Trading on 13 February 2012.
Our executive includes:
- President and first Principal – Emeritus Prof John Dwyer
- Vice-President – Emeritus Prof Alastair MacLennan
- Vice-President – Prof Rob Morrison
- Treasurer – Prof Marcello Costa
- Secretary, Chief Executive Officer and web administrator – Loretta Marron
- Ordinary Member – Ken Harvey
- Ordinary Member – Dr Sue Ieraci
President and first Principal
Emeritus Prof John M Dwyer AO, PhD FRACP FRCPI Doc Uni(Hon) ACU. Emeritus Professor of Medicine, University of New South Wales. Founder of the Australian Health Care Reform Alliance. Clinical consultant to the NSW Government’s Inter-Agency committee on Health Care Fraud.
- Whom do you trust to diagnose your food allergies?
- Complementary medicine – to teach or not to teach?
- New lobby opposes teaching alternative medicine
- Doctors groups fight to keep alternative medicine out of uni
- There’s no place for pseudo-scientific chiropractic in Australian universities
- Alternative medicine
- Panacea or placebo: doctors should only practise evidence-based medicine
- Quackery should be ducked
- Good medicine and bad medicine: science to promote the convergence of ‘alternative’ and orthodox medicine
Emeritus Prof Alastair H MacLennan AO, MB CHb MD FRCOG FRANZCOG. Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Paediatrics & Reproductive Health, The Women’s and Children’s Hospital. The University of Adelaide.
- Standing up for Science
- “Mumbo Jumbo” medicine in our universities
- University “pseudoscience” criticised
Prof Rob Morrison OAM, PhD. Professorial Fellow, School of Education, Flinders University, Skeptics Eureka Prize for Critical Thinking 2002. South Australian Government Prize for Science Communication Excellence 2005. Australian Government Eureka Prize for the Promotion of Science 2007.
- On Friends of Science in Medicine- Interview with Dr Rob Morrison
- Alternative Medicine courses questioned
Prof Marcello Costa FAAS. Matthew Flinders Distinguished Professor and Professor of Neurophysiology (2012). Professor of Neurophysiology, Flinders University.
- Does traditional Chinese medicine have a place in the health system?
- Mind over matter? The ethics of using the placebo effect
- A neuroscientist’s view: spare children the manipulation of chiropractic quackery
- Pointing the bone at chiropractic quackery – lessons from the UK
Secretary, Chief Executive Officer and web administrator
Loretta Marron OAM, BSc AssocDip(Bus) AAII MACS. Twice recipient of the ‘Skeptic of the Year’ award.
- International view: regulating treatments ‘down under’
- The backlash against universities offering complementary medicine courses
- Chiropractors moving in on GPs’ turf
Dr Ken Harvey, MBBS FRCPA, Adjunct Associate Professor, School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Vic
Dr Sue Ieraci, MBBS FACEM, Public Hospital Emergency Physician, Senior Staff Specialist, Emergency Medicine, Bankstown Hospital, University of Sydney.